Canmore, AB – Big things in the mountain biking world will happen June 23-25, 2017 in Canmore with the kick off of Plaid Goat Mountain Bike Fest; a regional event celebrating all things mountain biking.
“The mountain biking scene has been growing and though races are great for some riders, there’s been a missing piece to bring everyone together. So we’ve spent two years researching and crafting a program to unite mountain bikers of all stripes; baggy shorts, spandex clad, high pants, low pants or whatever your niche. Plaid Goat will help connect the whole regional riding community through celebration and of course, a bit of revelry.” said festival founder Wanda Bogdane.
Inspired by mountain bike festivals in the US and beyond, but tailored to the Rockies, the event’s foundation is set around a mountain bike demo and expo. The event has a low entry cost and offers tons of different ways to celebrate riding the Rockies. The format includes a non-stop calendar of activities including:
- Group rides hosted by the likes of Liv Cycling Ambassadors, Edmonton Mountain Bike Alliance and the Canmore and Area Mountain Bike Association and STEEDZ Enduro
- Coaching clinics hosted by Shred Sisters and YYCMTB
- Shuttles hosted by Cochrane Toyota and Canmore Banff Bike n’ Hike Shuttle to move riders to and from Canmore to trails in Banff and Kananaskis Country
- Bike Rodeo hosted by The Flannel Crew: huck to flat comps, adult tricycle races, bike limbo and all around ridiculousness… you get the idea!
- Kids Hub: face painting, digger pits, a skills & drills area and colouring
- Soapbox Central: hosting mountain bike specific topics like bikepacking, tech talks, where to go & what to ride, trail building, etc.
- Secure Bike Parking hosted by Canmore Community Cruisers: bring your own bike and keep it safe when not riding
- Regional Craft Beer Hub: with carefully selected regional craft brewers, two local distilleries, a free photo booth and much more
- Rundle’s Revenge collaboration to ensure that those who want to race in Canmore the weekend of the fest can get their fix in (15% discounts apply)
- Rundle Mountain Cycle Club’s Stage Race may not be mountain biking, but Saturday morning, the downtown Criterium will have high speed roadies lapping right around the festival grounds. Best seats in the house will be at Plaid Goat!
“Despite the massive amount of mountain biking in the Canadian Rockies, there’s no outdoor demo/expo-based event tying our industry together. So it’s great that we finally have something of this nature right here close to home,” explained Greg McDonald, Sales Operations Manager with Mountain Exposure, a company representing brands such as Ibis Cycles, Osprey Packs and Julbo Eyewear that will be at the expo.
Bike shops far and wide have been helping support the development of the event and Paul Kerfoot, shop manager at Outside Bike and Ski in Canmore explained, “It’s time for the Rockies to rise up and Plaid Goat is positioned to help us come to the forefront of the industry. The program is packed; no one’s gonna be bored!”
“Festival tickets can be bought online or in person. Like most online event ticketing tools, there are small purchase fees associated, but if you want to avoid paying those, pop into a Canmore bike shop and buy direct.” explained Bogdane.
Tickets can be purchased online here or in person at:
Ticket costs are as follows:
Kids 10 & under: free
Add Daily Demo Bike: $25
Kids 10 & under: free
Add Weekend Demo Bike: $35
Each option includes a date-specific wristband for Plaid Goat led group rides (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and entry to the whole festival site, including a massive program for the mountain bike obsessed.
Plaid Goat will contribute to the Ride the Rockies Regional Trails Fund as part of its ongoing legacy; a new not for profit society committed to supporting regional mountain bike alliances and programs in and around the Rockies.
With support from these Greatest of All Time Sponsors: